Monday, April 18, 2011

Platformer

I'm taking a break from the low-level gba game development and started working on a simple platformer using SDL, OpenGL and Lua for scripting.  I'm not real sure what the story is going to be about but I'll think of something interesting later.  For right now it all engine developing.  And right now I'm working on the low-level and library wrapper stuff at the moment.  It forms a simpler library called librbase which contains useful simpler functionality than lower level libraries like SDL and Opengl (still can't beat something like gba, ds or psp development for low-levelness). Here what I have so far for this simple libary.

- windowing api (this is pretty much done)
- input (this is done because there won't be any mouse stuff for this game only keyboard.)
- rendering (this isn't even close to being done)
- logging(useful for debugging)

This is all I have for right now which an't to bad for a single day of deving and working on a simple design doc.  Here are some ideas for what I'm going to add to the library later one that I can think off the to of my head at the moment.

- sound (really important for setting the mood)
- state management (This is for screen changing, logo to start states ect)
- scripting interface ( Not everything need to be written in c++, here come lua)
- math (linear algebra, rects, matrixies)
- collision (simple function for checking for simple collision like aabb)
- gui (Yep needs some sort of gui to make it look pro, I'll just write a simple one though)
- resource manager ( Heh heh, extremely important and I do mean extreme )

Now not all these will be implemented right away and I might use librbase for something else and improve it. Oh well I don't have any screen shots for it right.  Mabey later when I have something decent. Well actully I'll show you what it can do right now.


For right now it can render textures and render font to the screen.  I'm using SDL_image to load image into an OpenGL texture and for font rendering I using SDL_ttf for loading *.ttf files and caching them into a c++ map, well that pretty much how it works. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment